avandia

Monday 12 April 2010

There's no place like home



I spent the last few days oop norf in Edinburgh with some girlfriends from work. Scottish people (or at least the Scots we came across) are lovely -id forgotten what good customer service and just plain friendliness looked like. We climbed a volcano, watched the 1o'clock cannon go off at Edinburgh castle and ate our way through The Rough Guide's recommendations. The pool, sauna and jacuzzi at the hotel didn't hurt either.


Until i got food poisoning..
I can confirm that the mussels below (which weren't even worth it) kept me wrapped around our Hilton-hotel toilet for nearly two-days. I wont divulge the details as to why i had to set-up-camp in the bathroom -needless to say it was not a good look.




I left not with any resentment at how much id paid to throw-up for two days (i did initially have a good time) but rather with a distinct and familiar feeling... Ive been all over the UK; Manchester, Newcastle, York, Scarborough, Canterbury to name a few, and each time i leave re-affirming my belief that London is possibly the greatest city in the world. I am a city girl and i am one of those awful Londoners who maps-out the UK according to how far a place is from London -to be fair, you can get anywhere if you start in London. And it is without shame that i rant about how gorgeously diverse and eclectic this city is. Other places in the UK just don't cut the mustard for me. Heritage and history yes, but once you've seen one castle/stately home you've seen them all.

People ive met on my humble travels around the UK have been lovely but cultures and ethnicities outside of London feel largely segregated -im not going to lie, it freaks me out. I went to a school where i knew ONE fully English person. Ive studied Sociology long enough to understand the ins-and-outs of why this is and equally that the sheer number of people in London is the main reason that it glows so gorgeously with diversity. I am of course assuming that we all agree this is a good thing..?

The English (and Scottish, and Welsh, and Irish) countryside are no doubt and from what small sections i've seen, stunning. But im happy to squash-up to a bikini-clad tanner with my picnic blanket in Hyde park in return for everything else London has to offer. In London, everyday, i can be whoever i want to be -you name it and ill find you a place that you can do that/be that person. I might not know my neighbour's name but a smile and a nod in the morning is just fine for me -at least until there's a power cut, then ill come knocking.


Ps. I really did have a lovely break in Scotland, honest. Thank you Edinburgh and all your lovely sights and people. And in particular your little gems..



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

avandia