avandia

Sunday 2 January 2011

David RamJam Rodigan


I love, this man. Without sounding like an over-excited Duracel bunny he is the epitome of a living legend. I have never professed to know everything (or anything to be honest) about music 'proper' but my GAWD when Rodigan is playing he brings the house DOWN and is therefore held in my highest esteem.

What i love most about him, aside from the fact that he is 59, aside from the fact that he is a short balding white man, aside from the fact that he has a distinct and alien Jamaican tWang when he DJs is the educational nature of it all. I love that he prefaces every track with an introduction 'a long time ago in Kingston Jamaica...". Not only that but he knows his crowd. The man educates.

Urban Nerds at The Macbeth was no different. The man took us from dub to reggae to grime and dropped some FrESH tunes making sure that we knew we heard them from him first. He even, and again, this is why i love him, ended the set with the very (old) tracks that brought dub and reggae into the mainstream.


Like i said. I've never claimed to know anything about music but my god, in the two (soon to be three) times ive had the pleasure of seeing Rodigan live i have been more than informed, feet first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

avandia